Thursday, April 16, 2009

W.'s hospital stay



I know five weeks later! Well it was a normal Friday night Jeff and I sent the kids a packin up to bed about eight and then watched a movie. At about eleven when our show got over W started complaining about not being comfortable a few minutes later he came down with his hand on his neck and said my neck hurts. When he moved his hand his left side of his neck was so swollen it was even with his earlobe. The right side was also swollen but not as bad. This was the first time I have had to take a child to the E.R. and let me tell you I was a wreck I thought that I would be the calm parent and I would walk in all calm cool and collected and awe the doc's and nurses with how calm I was. Oh how I was mistaken! I was speeding like a mad women I was in tears and I parked in the spot where the ambulance is supposed to because I did not know where to park. Thank goodness for nice police men who took my keys and moved it for me.
Any way I will cut down the next seven hours for you so you can get to the next blog you would like to read.
They did a whole bunch of tests including a cat scan which I could not be in the room for because of being pregnant (ya I cried) but he did awesome! By six that morning and a thousand offers for coffee and no sleep the doc came in and said he had tonsillitis, and his glands, and lymph nodes where swollen because he had mono. Yup mono! And no my son does NOT kiss girls so how in the heck did he get mono at this age? Anyway they had to keep him in the pediatric ward for two days to make sure the swelling was going to go down. They were worried it would get worse and cut off his air supply. So daddy came and gave me a break and slept with him there that night and then he got to come home Sunday afternoon.
So it really was no big deal the little turkey was back at school on Tuesday. Speaking of turkey thankfully we have killer insurance and have not had to pay a cent so far!
Also, I wish I would have gotten a better pic of his nick too but the ones I took just didn't do it justice.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow. Even tho I heardt he story, I totally empathized. You know I wouldn't be calm, lol. Oh wait... I wasn't. :P
KIDS.
Seriuosly, Mono is so weird to me, but not the only time I've heard that as a possible diagnosis for a small child this winter. it has been NUTS.
I'm glad he was back in school so quickly and that he's ok. SOO STRESSFUL!

Michelle said...

Oh, I am so glad he is ok! But what an ordeal!

Ben and Darci said...

Hey M! Congratulations on the bun in the oven. Too bad about Will. It's scary what can happen sometimes, but I'm glad he's okay and that you are well insured :)

The Lowry's said...

Wow, glad he is alright. Glad to hear you are still alive. Jks. Still sick? Hope everything gets better.